• Home
  • Home
  • Home

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Proper Care of Cast Iron Cookware

by Ellie Weightman

Cast iron cookware needs special handling after using.  Use a good liquid detergent that DOES NOT HAVE any citrus scents, the best I have found so far is Dawn Original, yes the old Dawn without any special scents or additives.  Use a brush or scrungie to clean the pot/pan. When done, dry completely with a towel.  Put the pan back on your stovetop and pour about 1/2 tsp or any light oil (sunflower works well) into the pan.  Using a paper towel, wipe the oil all over the inside of the pan. Let it sit one hour or so to soak up the oil then wipe again with a dry paper towel, then store.  When storing if you have to stack with other pans, put a towel or paper towel in between the pans.  It is preferred if you can use a special stacker to keep pans separate.  I have one for my cast iron pans and will add a picture soon to show you what I mean.

It is also beneficial to once in a while instead of just letting the pan sit to soak up the oil to put it in a 350 degree oven to prime it.  I usually put my favorite cast iron skillet in the oven after wiping it with oil and the next time I preheat my oven, it will also prime my pan.  Be careful ALL PARTS OF A CAST IRON PAN WILL GET HOT, INCLUDING THE HANDLE.

Cast iron pans (I like the Lodge brand) are great for recipes like home fries or steaks that get seared on the stovetop then put in the oven to finalize.  My favorite Eye Roast of Beef is done this way.

No comments:

 
Website Templates by Body Fat Caliper, Christmas Dress